Ministry for the Environment
- Closing date: 08/12/2020
- Permanent Full Time
- Lead analysis and advice on environmental policy
- Make your mark in a newly formed team
- Flexible working approach
Join our amazing team and use your skills in a way that will make a difference to all New Zealanders and our environment.
The Climate & Water Agriculture Team is a new team at the Ministry for the Environment. Our vision is to work collaboratively to provide an authoritative MfE voice on the interaction between agriculture and the environment.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
We are looking for an experienced Senior Policy Analyst to help drive our busy policy work programme.
We work to two Ministers and have key projects underway in both the fresh water and climate space. Agriculture has a huge impact on our environment and the work you will be doing will be fast paced, the focus of attention for Ministers and have the potential to make a big difference for current and future generations of New Zealanders.
As a Senior Policy Analyst you will lead pieces of policy work, advise Ministers and work collaboratively and proactively with a wide range of stakeholders. You could work on high profile initiatives such as improving the state of our fresh water or He Waka Eke Noa – a partnership to drive reductions in agricultural emissions.
You will play an instrumental role in designing new policy approaches and get plenty of face time with senior leaders.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
You will need to have an understanding of regulatory and non-regulatory policy development and have had previous experience working with senior stakeholders and Ministers. Some experience working with a range of external stakeholders would be beneficial.
You will also bring:
- demonstrated experience leading and providing policy analysis and advice at a senior level
- strong analytical skills
- strong relationship management skills
- the ability to coach and mentor junior staff
- commitment to developing your cultural capability and capacity in te ao Māori.
Mō mātou - About us
The Ministry's purpose - he whenua mana kura mō te tangata - is to make Aotearoa New Zealand the most liveable place in the world. We seek to achieve a flourishing environment for every generation.
We also offer:
- a flexible by default approach to support your work-life balance
- agile working, allowing you variety and challenges across the organisation as we work as ‘One MfE'
- generous leave entitlements
- training to competently and effectively engage with Māori as our Treaty Partner, this includes te reo me ona tikanga Māori courses
- active social club and employee networks, including a Māori staff network
- opportunities for development and education.
A key priority for the Ministry is Te Ao Māori. We continue to strengthen strong partnerships with Māori and iwi, which underpin our ability to succeed. Reflecting the Crown-Māori relationship under Te Tiriti o Waitangi in our environmental policy is our daily kaupapa.
We embrace diversity and inclusion and are committed to equal opportunities. What's important to us is ‘he rau kotahi tangata' – embracing our multiple talents – by harnessing our diversity and being inclusive. We actively encourage applications from all backgrounds.
Tono ināianei | Apply Now
Apply directly by completing the online application form and submit your CV and cover letter. Note: your cover letter will be a key part of our assessment process, so please highlight how your experience relates to the key skills required for this role.
If you require further information about the role please contact Nora Burghart at Nora.Burghart@mfe.govt.nz
Salary range - $97,033 to $121,984 pa. Appointment within this range will be based on skills and experience.
Rā Katinga | Applications close: Tuesday, 8 December 2020