AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job Title: Director Corporate Communications and Patient Relations
Job Code: ANZV-CP0062
Division: Abbvie PTY Ltd
Department: Corporate Communications
Reports to: General Manager
Job Purpose and Scope:
- Proactively manage AbbVie Pty Ltd’s internal and external communications (and platforms) to enhance and protect AbbVie’s corporate reputation in accordance with AbbVie communication policies.
- Manage PR agencies and effective support of promotion of key brand communication..
- Manage internal and external communications platforms to enhance and protect AbbVie's corporate reputation.
- Support public affairs needs on key products.
- Manage influence and advocacy development with media, consumer and health related organizations, government and academia in support of reimbursement, pricing and policy communications.
- Lead in issues and crisis management and training related activities.
- Lead Patient Relations capability development for AbbVie.
- Active role as member of the Affiliate Management team
- Other duties as directed by the General Manager.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute Abbvie Australasia’s internal and external communications strategy to enhance and protect Abbvie’s corporate reputation.
- Manage and lead the Corporate Communications team and integrate the function into all parts of the affiliate business. Responsibility for Corporate Communications annual budget.
- Develop and implement all affiliate communications policies, in accordance with corporate Abbvie policies.
- Serve as the lead Abbvie ANZ spokesperson for all media inquiries, as well as the owner of key stakeholder relationships with the media and relevant health consumer organisations.
- Specifically, lead the Corporate Communications team to:
- Set the strategy for and execute all AI ANZ internal communications programs focused on Values and Strategy reinforcement and culture-building — including new and existing vehicles such as internal magazines/news bulletins, employee meetings, internal branding, SharePoint portals, etc.
- Set the strategy for and execute all product PR/media programs, in collaboration with product managers/BUMs/Commercial Directors. Serve as primary contact with health consumer organisations in any activities that involve them.
- Set the strategy for and execute all external corporate media programs, including media briefings and corporate media relations.
- Manage PR agency relationships, including assignment of work and new agency additions to the current roster.
- Manage influence and advocacy development with media and consumers (e.g. health consumer organisations), particularly related to disease awareness or in support of policy communications.
- Lead all communications efforts related to issues and crisis management; manage issues training related activities.
- Lead supervision of VIP site visits (e.g. internal and external)
- Other projects as directed by the General Manager.
Minimum Skills Required:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement results-oriented communications strategies – both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated leadership skills – e.g. as a contributor of a senior management team and head of function.
- Understanding of and strong capability with a variety of IT and creative platforms/programs used in communications programs.
- Demonstration of ability to collaborate and build partnerships throughout all levels of an organisation and externally.
Knowledge / Education Required:
- Demonstrated understanding of the Australian/New Zealand media environment, as well as established relationships with key media outlets.
- Demonstrated understanding of Australian/New Zealand health consumer organisations, as well as demonstrated ability to partner in strategic programs.
- Pharmaceutical, business management (commercial acumen) and Science/Public Relations/Journalistic background an advantage.
- Degree qualified in Communications/PR.
- Minimum 5 years related experience in Communications/Public Affairs/PR within the pharmaceutical industry or consultancy.
- Previous experience in similar director/head of department/team role.
Quality, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities:
- Attend regular departmental meetings with manager/supervisor to build in continuous feedback mechanisms.
- Meet the requirements of ISO and Class A by complying with all relevant Quality policies and procedures to ensure the Quality objectives of the business are met.
- Comply with all relevant company Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental policies, procedures and work practices with the intent of preventing or minimising accidental exposures to self, colleagues and/or the environment.
Required Competencies for this role:
Set Vision & Strategy
Build Org Inspire People
Know the Business
Drive for Results
Make Difficult Decisions
Encourage Open Exchange of Ideas & Knowledge
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.