Engineer, Research and Teaching Solutions
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
Who we are
The University of Otago is a research-intensive University with over 1,500 staff involved in academic research. This Unit is part of a new initiative within ITS, providing research and teaching specific IT support to enable researchers and teaching staff to continue to deliver high quality teaching and research outcomes.
This is a new and exciting team within the ITS group and a key focus of this role will be to ensure that we deliver solutions that meet the diverse needs of academic teaching and research and are secure, scalable, robust and in alignment with IT architecture principles.
About the role
As a Solutions Engineer within Research and Teaching IT, your role will involve working extensively with Linux in the Red Hat ecosystem including Fedora and Centos and include opportunities to engage with SQL databases, web servers, version control systems and single board computer systems including Raspberry Pi and Arduino.
We are seeking someone who is comfortable working in a command line environment, and is able to educate themselves and stay up to date with new software and IT systems.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail orientated, and able to dig down into the depths of complex problems while maintaining awareness of the IT environment. You’ll work with a wide team spread across a number of University Departments and directly engage with research groups.
Previous experience working with and supporting software on research compute platforms in the areas of bioinformatics, data science and biostatistics would be advantageous.
- Collaborate with IT colleagues to implement and manage innovative, future focussed and scalable research/teaching infrastructure services and systems.
- Advise, configure, and support research data storage, transfer and exploitation solutions to support researchers in achieving their research outcomes.
- Undertake configurations, installations, upgrades, decommissioning, testing, maintenance and administration of servers, operating systems, networks, associated layered software technologies and related products hosted by the research/teaching discipline/portfolio.
- Provide Level II and some level III support and troubleshooting to researchers, including postgraduate students and/or teaching staff to minimise user/system down time.
- Provide consultation and advice to researchers and teachers outlining suitable available IT services, infrastructure and tools and help provision where needed.
You will work collaboratively with academic departments and ITS teams to help understand where existing services can be leveraged and identify opportunities to develop new services that will benefit the University of Otago community.
Your skills and experience
- Previous experience in a medium sized environment supporting Linux server operating systems, including installation, configuration, troubleshooting and upgrades.
- Experience with and knowledge of infrastructural systems including SAN’s, scripting languages, algorithms and research and teaching computing environments.
- Knowledge of system and directory security (e.g. intrusion detection systems); data backup/recovery; and disaster recovery processes.
- Knowledge of programming/command scripting languages such as Powershell, Python, PERL, PHP, .NET, shell scripting.
Skills in storage and SAN technologies would be advantageous, as would previous experience working with and supporting software on research compute platforms in the areas of bioinformatics, data science and biostatistics.
This is a full-time, permanent position.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this position.
For further details, please contact Darren Hart via the contact details below.
To submit your application (including CV and cover letter) please click the apply button below. Applications quoting reference number 2100553 will close on Monday, 29 March 2021.